Marking Period 1:
In reading we are reading Night of the Twisters by Ivy Ruckman. This is a realistic fiction book based on a true event which occurred in Nebraska in the 1970's. As we read this exciting novel we are learning and identifying so many literary elements, articularly various forms of figurative language. The excitemet builds as the plot thickens! This novel also ties in beautifully with the science weatherunit!
In addition, we are reaching the stars by logging on to RAZ-Kids. We are increasing our independent reading fluency by reading stories at our own personal level. Our reading levels are certainly going to shoot into orbit as we read and are tested on our comprehension and earn those star points so we can build our rocket ships! Please log onto www.Raz-kids.com and use the log in information I taped to the inside cover of your child's homework pad.
We are also writing a research paper! We are using the five steps of the writing process to write our expository piece.
1. Brainstorm and pick a topic that really interests you.
2. Research/take notes) on cards by writing only the important words. Then pre-write/draft
3. Revise by adding details and choose smart vocabulary
4. Proofread and edit (check that spelling and punctuation. Remeber our classroom oath!
5. Finally, publish and share!
So we are working hard!!
Don't forget to check out what's happening with our Wilson Reading Program on top of all this. Phew!